We want to start by congratulating all freshmen who has gained provisional admission into the higher institution (University, Polytechnic or college of education). Some of you gained admission immediately after your secondary school. I must congratulate you specially for this because there was not delay on your pathway. Yet some of you guys wrote JAMB or WAEC severally before this one favoured you. I must also without fail congratulate you for your new gotten admission. It was not easy waiting at home and seeing your mates in the higher institution.
But then, in the celebration mood, we want to use this medium to provide an advice to you all. Many institutions have already released their merit list and some are yet to. So if you have not gotten admission yet, hopefully, before the end of the year yours will be out. Therefore, this advice is like a fuel and engine oil needed for you run the race of the higher institution. Pay rapt attention and read with full interest.
Many freshmen have lost their path because of over excitement and as such end very badly at the end of their study period. These few piece of advice is provided free of charge. Some of these points were covered in our previous article titled “10 Commandments For Every Success Oriented Student”
1) Focus on your studies: You are the school to study and acquire knowledge. Bearing this in mind, you should pay full and rapt attention to your studies. Your parents will invest heavily into your life within these short period. Therefore, you must ensure that you do not waste their resources. Be careful so that over excitement does not sway you out of your focus. Study well, for it is only in studying that your knowledge will be fully enhanced.
2) Celebration comes at the end, at the beginning: Unfortunately, many of us get it totally wrong by celebrating at the beginning. The road before you is too long to start your celebration now. If actually there is time to celebrate, then it should be at the end of your study year (at graduation). So therefore my amiable freshmen, be very careful so that your premature celebration will not lead to failure at the end.
3) Develop yourself within this short time: In one of my previous articles, I stated few reasons why most Nigerian graduates are unemployable. I guess you might have also heard that Nigerian graduates are unemployable. Therefore, pay attention to enhancing your efficiency. Spend time to developing yourself. The duration in the higher institution is 6 years on the maximum. It is what you learn within these years that will determine if you will be employable or not. therefore, spend time and resources to develop yourself.
4) Develop a business idea: It is very interesting to know that we have many student entrepreneurs in our various campuses. One of the best things you can do in the campus is to develop and run your own business.
Many student do not need any job at the point of graduate because of the successful business they established while in campus. Work hard to owning your own business and you will be happy you did. Also your dependency on your parents and sponsors will be fully reduced. As freshmen, if there is any convenient time to start up your business, then it is now. If you are IT inclined, then consider blogging as a great opportunity for you.
5) Never forget God: God above everything. We owe it all to God. Freshmen, do not forget God. If you can forget everything and anything, it must not be God. He saw you through during your primary and secondary school. Also, if He had not provided for you parents, you will definitely not have come this far. Therefore, do not forget God. This is the first tip to becoming successful. Sadly, the campus is full of young guys who con longer see God as anything. Within these few years of your stay in the campus, ensure that you do not run away from God. He will keep you.
6) Mind your association: Dear freshmen, friends will make or mar you. Many freshmen want to belong, so as to gain recognition. As such, many things are lost along the line. If you must make it to the end of the journey, then be careful of the people you keep as friends. Some can help build you up, while others can destroy you beyond recovery. Make friends with those that will help shape your life for the better. You will find every kind of person on the campus, therefore, be careful with your association.
Get in here, start and or make contribution to interesting gist
1 post • Page 1 of 1
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests