July, 2017 Examination
END OF SEMESTER EXAMINATION 2017_1
COURSE TITLE:ENGLISH LANGUAGE IN NIGERIA (3 CREDIT UNITS)
COURSE UNIT: 3
TIME ALLOWED:3 HOURS
INSTRUCTION: ANSWER THREE (3) QUESTIONS IN ALL
1. Describe the basic characteristics of Nigerian English by:
a. Illustrating, with examples, one feature each at the phonological, grammatical, lexico-semantic, and discourse levels.
b. Identifying the level of linguistic analysis at which the features that characterise its variety occurs most.
2. Compare and contrastBamgbose, and Awonusi’s classifications of varieties of spoken English in Nigeria.
a. Highlight the parameters used for each classification; and
b. Identify a variety, from each, that qualifies to be the standard variety.
3. a) Explain, with examples, the sociolinguistic consequences of the English language in Nigeria.
b) What are the implications for a practical language policy in Nigeria?
4. In what ways can Nigerian languages and Nigerian Pidgin be used as tools for the teaching of English?
5. In your view, is the English language in Nigeria a symbol of national unity? Support your answer with examples.
Stay informed when you download our app
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... m.nounites
DISCLAIMER: THIS PACKAGE IS PREPARED FOR EXAM REVISION AND PREPARATIONS ONLY, NOT TO BE TAKEN INTO THE EXAM HALL FOR MALPRACTICES
Use Past Questions to see how examiner asked questions in the past
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest